Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Submission declined

So what do you do when you get a mail declining your submission? Ask me. Because I get plenty of them. Usually, it doesn't bother me much. I feel dejected for a while, sometimes i mope even the whole day, but by next morning, i'm myself again, planning something new, be it the next submission, next post or something totally unrelated to poetry. Anybody who has anything to do with the written word and wants to be published knows these""rejections" are part and parcel of a writer's life. And i also know that nine times out of ten my work is below par, so these small disappointments are going to happen from time to time; no sweat! I've been fortunate enough to have editors who have... right from the time i was just a newbie, taking my first uncertain steps on the haiku path... indulged me and even when not accepting my work, have always had the time to stop by and say something soothing and nice, to soften the blow. Lately even very senior editors and poets have been gracious enough to add a few encouraging words while not accepting. Then there are editors who have not replied at all,either to say 'yes' or 'no', but when persisted with, have responded with a poem or two,( of which you may or may not make any sense of), but i mean, it's damn sweet of them to do that! And some even have gone to the length of explaining what exactly was wrong with the poem, what i should do to improve upon it and why they/he/she couldn't accept.But then sometimes i get a mail which does not only contain a curt message; polite curtness is acceptable to some extent; but there is such an air of unspoken condescension in the wording of these mails, that it gets my goat.Is it necessary to put "submission declined" in capitals in the subject line? Couldn't that be included in the body of the message? Do they decline everybody in the same way? Same guidelines apply to everyone?Maybe I am over-reacting, i am prone to doing that sometimes. But I definitely think that only being an editor is not enough, you also need to learn how to say 'no' with gentleness and humour; maybe you ought to learn a thing or two about graciousness from the senior editors!

"Your praying for rain's

ridiculous!"

reed thrush



-Issa, 1819



Oh well, enough of my rant! Time to go cheer myself up with some music. Perhaps you too would like to join me here .
Roughly translated it means I spin(katiya karoon) the cotton (roon) of your memories and words throughout the night.


1 comment:

aditya said...

Oh I did not know the meaning of Katiya Karoon until now. But I hadn't simply cared to know. Terrible film.

The Issa haiku is very apt and beautiful.

rejection mail
ends
autumn
begins